“Baptism, the Eucharist, and the sacrament of Confirmation together constitute the “sacraments of Christian initiation,” whose unity must be safeguarded. It must be explained to the faithful that the reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. For “by the sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1285).
A Confirmation Sponsor Must Be:
- At least 16 years old, and has been baptized, received first communion and confirmation, and is in good standing with the Catholic Church
- An active Catholic who attends Sunday Mass regularly, prays and participates in the Sacramental life of the church (receives communion regularly, goes to confession, and has an active prayer life).
- If married, a sponsor must be married in the Catholic Church
- Someone other than candidate’s mother or father
- Each sponsor must obtain a letter from their Catholic Pastor attesting to their ability to perform the role of Confirmation Sponsor.
Whenever possible, it is recommended that one of the Baptismal Godparents fill the role of Confirmation Sponsor.
For questions regarding Confirmation preparation for children at Saint Vincent Basilica Parish please contact Bridget DiVittis at 724-539-8629, ext. 16 or firstname.lastname@example.org .